Posted to alt.home.repair
Kyle Kyle is offline

Default Compact Flourescent "Lamps" for Ceiling Fan(s)

John Gilmer wrote:
I have become a true believer in the Compact Fluorescent (CF) lamps than
replace "Edison base" standard lamps.
I would MUCH rather use a CF.

I think you'll find fluorescent bulbs are not a good replacement in
ceiling fans and other places where the lights are on for short periods
of time. From the Department of Energy's assessment of CF lights:

"Repeatedly switching a compact fluorescent light on and off reduces
the life of the bulb. Therefore, compact fluorescent lights provide the
biggest savings when they are used to replace incandescent lights that
are used several hours per day."
(http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/lighting/chap3.html)

Use CFs where you need to have a light on for long stretches, such as
your living room, porch lights, etc., but not where there are short
on-off cycles such as bathrooms, bedrooms, etc.

We put CF bulbs in the kitchen, bathroom and vestibule, and they burned
out much faster than standard incandescent bulbs every single time. In
the long run, that costs more and wastes more as you contribute faster
to the landfill and manufacturing energy use.