Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George George is offline

Default Termite turn tool opinion wanted

"Pete" wrote in message
m...
Oneway has a tool called the Termite tool that I believe is primarily used
for hollowing. I was thinking about buying it and was wondering what you
opinions about it was.

It's a gouge mounted at 90 degrees to the handle. Used as such, it will
trim endgrain at the bottom of a piece if you can get a steep enough entry
angle to start peeling. Position, pull and roll it as a gouge in use. Which
is the problem with using it as a hollowing tool. If you have a narrow
piece, you can't get enough room to get the handle to the optimum of 70
degrees to the surface without hitting something. Limits to bottoms as a
bevel-guided cutting tool, and it's a poorly designed scraper with a brittle
stem as Steve says.

It's a one-trick pony at my house, since other tools do everything it can,
save the very bottoms of end-grain pieces, and most of them have other
advantages. For instance, a pointy gouge will plunge, cut, and eject
shavings throughout the useful range of the termite when hollowing, leaving
the fine-tuning to a scraper like the Sorby or Stewart.

That would be my recommendation. Fingernail or pointy gouge for initial
stock removal, followed by one of the scraper types. Termite as cash
permits, because it does make a touchy job easier for end-grain work like
boxes, goblets and such.