Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Locking the engine to remove the cutting blade.

Robbo wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
I want to sharpen the cutting blade on the petrol mower ( Briggs and
Stratton engine/Lawnflite SP mower ) but how do I lock the engine so
that I can remove the nut that holds the blade in place ?

Ignore the ideas of a "Piston Stop" as I have seen the results from others
when they give too much pressure (Usually in the wrong direction of rotation
for the LEFT HAND nut) which results in a holed piston.

Or a bent conrod.

Use a piece of 2"X4" timber wedged across the end of the blade against the
casing (Care to be taken if the casing is plastic) to restrain the blade
from rotating.
NOTE
If you turn the engine.machine upside down or further than 90 degrees to
work on it expect some difficulty restarting after the oil has gone past the
rings and into the combustion chamber. Had many a Greenkeeper find out that
a restricted compression piston being pulled by a pull start results in very
sore fingers at the T piece pull start when it locks or kicks back ;-)