Posted to alt.home.repair
Mikey S. Mikey  S. is offline

Default Patching "sleeve" in exterior wall?

"Great Stuff' is a common brand around here..just go to any hardware store,
HD, Lowes, anything like that and ask for a can of expanding foam. Squirt a
good amount in the hole, it will expand greatly as it dries, fill the gaps,
and ooze out the excess..now here is the trick..DON'T try to clean up what
oozes, it's a sticky mess..just let it dry, THEN you clean it up with a
knife, it cuts easily and cleanly. There you go..the hole is all filled and
weathertight. not fire rated like the firestop stuff used for penetrations
through fire rated floors, but you don't need that for this application.

--

Mike S.

"Jim Tiberio" wrote in message

"N8N" wrote in message
oups.com...

Jim Tiberio wrote:
"N8N" wrote in message
ps.com...
Me again... was running some wire to the kitchen last night and when I
got down to the breaker box I felt a draft (last night was the first
really cold night we've had since moving into the house.) Apparently
this @#$%^$^& solar water heater has even more issues than I knew
about, there's a freakin' hole in the wall for the piping between the
tank and the panel, and I can stick my fingers in it and wiggle them
around! This is a basement wall, cinder block with brick facing on
the
exterior. What to fill the hole with? I assume probably something
similar to the firestop that I'm used to using at work for sleeves
that
are core drilled through concrete decks, but what exactly is the
product that I want to buy for this? Please don't tell me I need to
use concrete as it is probably way too cold for it to set up properly
right now.

thanks,

How big is the gap? When I had central AC installed once they busted
out a
brick, ran the smallish pipe and hose and left a fair sized hole. I was
able to fill it with this caustic foam that came from an aerosol can and
expanded.

I've got big but slender hands, so it's not a HUGE gap... probably
something like two 3/4" copper pipes running through a rough 2" opening

Sounds like the stuff will work, hopefully someone here knows the name of
the stuff I'm talking about because I can't remember. These may be the
same thing though. I picked mine up at Home Depot so maybe you could ask
the

http://www.conservationstrategies.co...foam_cans.html

http://www.conservationstrategies.co...ane_sea .html

http://www.unifireusa.com/retail1/ca...n&categ=7 460