Posted to alt.home.repair
Todd H. Todd H. is offline

Default water vs oil -based polyurethane?

"caemna" writes:

We are having a pine kitchen floor, pretty rustic and beat up, sanded and
refinished. The floor refinisher asked if we wanted water-based
polyurethane or not. What's the difference? Pros & cons?

Water-based, easy cleanup, low odor, typically doesn't wear nearly as
well. Doesn't yellow. Street Shoe is an excellent brand, very
commonly used in malls with hardwood I'm told. Has wear
characteristics rivalling oil based supposedly. If they have access
to this stuff, I'd go with it for a house I was occupying.

Oil based, lasts longest, does yellow in the sun over time, smells to
high heaven. Dunno if you'll wanna live in the house over the 3-4
days it'll take to put 3 coats of the stuff down.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/