Posted to alt.home.repair
Rich256 Rich256 is offline

Default Ceiling fixture help

wrote:
I'm trying to replace an old ceiling fixture. Reason: one of the bulbs
couldn't be removed and the socket was shot (but the bulb still worked
until this morning).

The old fixture had (2) 60W bulbs -- each with a black and white wire
"hard"-wired to their sockets (it was old). In the ceiling, there are
(2) wires -- 1 black and 1 white (the wiring is old cloth-covered;
originally the house had knob & tube/fuses).

The new fixture I purchased also had (2) 60W bulbs -- each with a black
and white wire (so 4 wires total coming off the new fixture).

Trouble is, when I connect the fixture I can only get (1) bulb to light
-- the black lead bulb. I've tried all black-to-black & all
white-to-white wiring; one white/one black to black (and one white/one
black to white) -- and I get the same result. Then I tried each black
and white on the fixture together and then to the black and white in
the ceiling -- this resulted in nothing (no light) -- and not even a
circuit trip.

Any idea what could be going on?

Thanks for any help/insight you can offer!

I am pretty certain the correct wiring would be all the blacks tied
together and all the whites.

I am confused what you mean by "the black lead bulb".

Is one of the bulbs defective? Replace or switch to see.

There is no switch on the fixture?

Not surprised that you didn't get any light when you tied the blacks and
whites together. You had power on both sides of one bulb and the other
grounded.

This is a place where an ohm meter would be handy to see if you can read
resistance through the fixture wires.