Posted to alt.home.repair
Ashton Crusher Ashton Crusher is offline

Default Is a burglar alarm box a junction box?

On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 12:29:49 -0500, mm
wrote:

Is a burglar alarm box a junction box? It's metal and has knockouts
just like a metal junction box. Is it sufficient to contain 110v
wires?

I'm only thinking of putting "a little" bit of 110 volts in the box,
110 coming in, the hot wire going to one side of a relay switch and
the other side of the relay switch sending the hot to the hall light
switch box and the dining room light switch box, a total of 230 watts.

The coil of the relay will be controlled by the burglar alarm, so that
these lights go on when I arm the alarm and when I come in the front
door. How does this sound? I plan to put the relay in its own small
metal box, lined witha non-conductor.

The installations I've seen of burglar alarms, fire alarms, pbx and
computer network boxes have all been set up with the electric
completely separate. Typically the electric is run in and terminated
with regular three prong 120 volt outlets. Then the alarm installers
(and other system installers) nail a hunk of plywood to the wall, hang
all their stuff on that, and plug it in to the 120 volt outlet just
like you'd plug in a toaster. Same was true in our parking lot with
the stuff all in the same large metal enclosure. Separate electric,
plywood bolted to the inside of the metal enclosure, etc.