Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Morse Morse is offline

Default Schneider DVD HDD 80 won?t recognize DVD/HDD

"Sebastian Voitzsch" wrote in message
Hi,

I'm working on a Schneider DVR HDD 80 that won't recognize the drives. It
boots up, I can search channels and access the menu. However, the DVD
doesn't get read, after a while it shows "def disc" on the screen. Drive
itself is ok, installed it on my computer and watched a DVD. HDD is also
fine. With a LG DVD burner installed instead of the internal drive it
sometimes starts to format the HDD, but will fail with "reset_mbr failed"
or "max_user_lbaffffffff failed" after some seconds. Resoldering the IDE
connectors didn?t solve the issue. As far as I understood the chipset
announcements and block schematics for that platform, there are two IDE
busses, the encoder has its own bus for controlling the HDD.

The unit is the same as Tevion DVD 160 HDD II (MD80857) despite
the smaller harddisk, MPEG board is LRM302710-0201, chipset is Cirrus
CS98301-CMZ/CS92689-CBZ. Cirrus (Magnumsemi) refused to give informations,
datasheets are only given to customers.

Any hints on this?

I'd check the IDE cable, as it's an obvious and replaceable item! They
usually use insulation displacement connectors which rely on the metal
prongs severing the insulation to make contact which the conductors. They
occasionally go bad.

Also, I'd check the power supply is stable, the correct voltages are present
and there's a permissable level of ripple on the rails. Switchmode PSUs in
these sorts of units are frequently sources of trouble but easily
diagnosable with a a quick look at the outputs with a scope.

Failing that, parts are unlikely to be readily available to end users, so if
the chipset has issues it may be trash. It's possible the unit's BIOS has
become corrupted, but that's a long shot.

Morse