Posted to alt.electronics
default default is offline

Default Rewiring Series Motor to Compound Wound Generator

On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 21:22:13 GMT, distatica
wrote:

Let me first start by saying I am new to electronics and my
understanding of the principles discussed might be off a little.
I will attempt to phrase my question properly, and rest assured I have
been looking into this matter on my own for quite a bit before posting
here.

I have very little financial resources, and am saving every penny I get
so I need to keep my budget low... anyways; I am attempting to turn an
old rotary tool I have lying around into a basic water powered generator.

The motor inside of the rotary tool is a series wound motor (I believe
this is correct, but I could always be wrong). I am attempting to change
the wiring around to turn this into a compound wound generator, but I am
not sure if this will work, here's why:

1) I am not sure if a compound wound generator needs to have 4 coils
representing the two fields, or if it can be made with 2 coils, such as
those in the rotary tool.

Need two fields that means four coils around the 2 pole pieces you
have.

2) I am not sure if "proportioning" of the fields requires modifying how
many loops of wire are contained in the coils, or if resistors could be
used for proportioning.

A resistor would only waste power. They depend on having the fields
balanced.

I have chosen to use a rotary tool motor because I had one on hand and
it has a nice shaft for me to mount a rotor blade. It is also small and
light weight enough to send via mail. The project goal is to present to
my parents (who live in the bush with no electricity) a proof of concept
design so they can learn the basics and apply it with materials found at
the local landfill. I am *quite* aware that this is not an efficient
design.

If this is not possible with only two coils, would an approach with
series or shunt wound be recommended? If so, which would be better and why?

I would appreciate very much any information given, and thank you in
advance for your time.

sincerely, distatica.

Like another responder already said an alternator is a better bet if
they can be found in land fills.

What you could do with your motor is vary the one field you do have
with a regulator to maintain the output voltage constant with motor
speed and loading. But then you probably won't find the parts for a
solid state regulator in the land fill (?).

So that calls for something more clever (or ancient) like a coil that
senses voltage and lowers the field strength by opening contacts when
the output exceeds a predetermined level.

What do you hope to achieve - charge batteries or provide DC power for
lighting? Is regulation necessary and why?