Posted to alt.architecture,alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction
Ken S. Tucker Ken S. Tucker is offline

Default soundproofing with a layer of cork under hardwood.

Michael Bulatovich wrote:
"marson" wrote in message
ups.com...
I am building a house for a customer who is planning to do his own
hardwood flooring installation (above grade, installed on 3/4"
plywood.) He recently informed my that he intends to install a layer
of 1/4" cork, then a layer of 1/2" plywood, then his hardwood strip
flooring (nail down).

I have two concerns about this: first, wouldn't the fasteners that you
use, both to fasten the 1/2" plywood and then to staple down the
hardwood, penetrate into the subfloor and negate the soundproofing
qualities of the cork?

Yes, but not totally. Is that why he's doing it?

Second, what do you think of nailing hardwood flooring into 1/2"
plywood? I am somewhat skeptical about the nail holding ability of
just 1/2" plywood.

Assuming we talking about 3/4" oak, I don't like that at all. I'm picturing
premature squeaking at least, which would be kind of ironic.

Yeah, would just glue work? I find Carpenters glue
is very strong. We basically use screws until the
glue sets and then they're unnecessary.
Ken

--

MichaelB