jim rozen

Default Home schooling (was...)

In article , Ed Huntress
says...

"Gunner" wrote in message
.. .

No one said home schooling is the universal cure all, but only that as
a whole, home schooled kids do better than public schools kids on the
whole. And for a hell of a lot cheaper.

Not really. Not unless you consider the time that mother or father spends
home-schooling to be worthless time. If they're a good home-schooler,
chances are their time is quite valuable. And unless you account for the
cost of their home-schooling in terms of income foregone, you aren't doing
an honest accounting.

Saying 'look at all these great stories about home schooling'
is sort of the same thing as saying, "I'm gonna open up a doctors
office, but I won't treat any sick folks." Or something to the
tune of "I'm gonna run an car insurance business, but only insure
folks who never make any claims."

Home schooling looks great when you have motivated parents. What
I want to see are the tremendous, terriffic, outstanding results
that happen when you have a single parent household. I thought
we had one of those mentioned recently, the welfare mom who
collects public assistance so she can stay home and teach her kids?

All the anecdotal evidence that's been flying around here is
a splendid example of cherry-picking. The home-school advocates
can sure bring out fine examples of success. But so can public
school educators.

Where the rubber meets the road is when you look at the problem
cases: yep, public schools have em. What, there simply are
NONE for home schoolers? Why not? Could it have something to
do with the moment they run into trouble, those kids get shuffled
back into public schools, and wind up as a stat *there*? Or maybe,
as onother poster suggested, they simply never get tested.

Simple question for the home school advocates: what happens
to the kids if the voucher money runs out in mid-year in the
private school? Are they allowed to show up on the public
school's doorstep, and demand to be educated? Or what if they
get kicked out of the private school? Sorry, no refunds.

I can envision the flap when local PS123 says, 'nope, sorry.'

Jim

please reply to: