Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
[email protected] bsa441@gmail.com is offline

Default I want to build a woodturning lathe

I have done a lot of searching for home-built lathe plans on the web,
but haven't found that much. I'd like to build one myself for several
reasons, mainly because it would be fun, and I'm cheap. I know, I
know, I'll probably wind up spending more making something halfway
decent than just ponying up for a real lathe, but I'd like to give it a
go anyway.

Two things are holding me up from beginning: 1) a set of plans to at
least begin with, and 2) the source for the headstock and tailstock
spindles. I want MT #2, of course, because it seems that most of the
lathes use those. I just can't seem to find them on the web. I know
they must be there, I just don't seem to have the correct terminology
for what I want.

Has anyone out there built their own lathe and is willing to give me
some advice and warnings?

Thanks in advance.