Posted to uk.d-i-y
Harry Bloomfield Harry Bloomfield is offline

Default Locking the engine to remove the cutting blade.

on 11/01/2007, supposed :
I want to sharpen the cutting blade on the petrol mower ( Briggs and
Stratton engine/Lawnflite SP mower ) but how do I lock the engine so
that I can remove the nut that holds the blade in place ?

You should not need to. Isolate the ignition, to make sure it cannot
start - pull the plug cap off. Then use a well fitting ring spanner get
the engine on compression and give the spanner a clout with a mallet.
Be aware that these bolts are usually of a thread which tightens in the
opposite direction to the blades normal rotation so it cannot unscrew
itself in use.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)