Posted to uk.d-i-y
Great Scot Great Scot is offline

Default Locking the engine to remove the cutting blade.

wrote in message
ups.com...
I want to sharpen the cutting blade on the petrol mower ( Briggs and
Stratton engine/Lawnflite SP mower ) but how do I lock the engine so
that I can remove the nut that holds the blade in place ?

Thanks
Brian

You can get a gadget that replaces the spark plug to lock the piston etc.
However, IIRC the nut/bolt that retains the cutter is sometimes of left hand
thread.
In either case a ring spanner of good fit and a sharp blow from a mallet *in
the right direction* should do the trick.
Also IIRC, some mowers have the direction of removal marked upon the head of
the nut/bolt.
HTH
GS