Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd Mark Lloyd is offline

Default Compact Flourescent "Lamps" for Ceiling Fan(s)

On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 07:20:27 -0500, "John Gilmer"
wrote:

I have become a true believer in the Compact Fluorescent (CF) lamps than
replace "Edison base" standard lamps.

The problem is that ceiling fan light of the "schoolhouse" type (round
globe) will not accept any but the smallest CF.

A 10" diameter globe would only take a 15 watt CF. In theory that's as
bright as a 60 watt conventional light but who is kidding!

In a rental property, we have two fans with small globes (8"?). The only
CF that would fit was only 5 watts. The same fixtures could take (and I
installed) 60 watt incandescent bulbs. I would MUCH rather use a CF. I
would need a CF that doesn't exceed about 3.5" in any dimension but that
puts out more 15 watts of CF light. That's not much but it's better than a
5 watt light.

I have one of those fans in my kitchen. I operated it without the
globe for awhile, so the CF would fit.

I have since replaced it with a smaller 13W (called 60W equivalent)
CF. This one is GE #85390.The package is labeled "NEW SMALLER SIZE!
fits more fixtures!" in white on purple on the left size. This one
fits under the globe.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"Properly read, the Bible is the most potent
force for atheism ever conceived." -- Isaac Asimov