Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Anyone replace pots with presets ?

Arfa Daily wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
Arfa Daily wrote:

Hi James. That was my original feeling also, but as I said further up, I
repair lots of group equipment, and really don't seem to suffer that much
from bad as opposed to broken pots, anyway.

What do you mean by "Group equipment"?

Er, equipment used by groups ? Like bands ? Beatles, Rolling Stones ? Do you
not call them "groups" your side of the pond ? Never heard the term
"groupies" for the girls that follow them around?

Groupie is a group of enthusiastic fans of any type, in the US.

In terms of this thread,
we have been talking specifically amplifiers for musical instruments, but in
general, at least over here, "group equipment" covers anything that a group
or band may be using on stage ( or off-stage ) to make their sound or image,
so amps, mixer desks, effects units / pedals, wireless mics, lighting
effects and so on.

They referred to them as bands, and their electronics as "Band Amps",
"Musical equipment" or "Guitar amps" when I was doing that work in the
'70s & '80s. Most repairs were done by part time techs at music stores,
but there was usually a
shop that specialized in amp repair in bigger cities. I even saw a few
british amps, back in the '70s when some clueless wanabes were trying to
copy one band or another, right down to the brand of wire and connectors
for their cables. The only thing they forgot was to learn how to play
music, sing, and perform in front of people who want good music. ;-)

I know from our past
- errr ... 'conversations' shall we say - that you have been involved in the
repair of this equipment, so I'm sure that you probably have a valid opinion
on the substituting of panel-type pots with presets made into panel mounting
types ?? Back to you, friend ...

As far as I am concerned, panel mounted controls are the only way to
go for any application that involves rugged service. PC mounted are ok
for internal adjustment, but nothing beats a mil spec made to last for
25 years of daily use.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell