Posted to sci.electronics.repair
n cook n cook is offline

Default Anyone replace pots with presets ?

Ron(UK) wrote in message
N Cook wrote:

The thread concerns 12/13 mm footprint pots (sub miniature), no problem

with
17mm miniature or 21mm standard size ones. I doubt game controllers use
subminiature ones.

One thing that concerns me about using a preset as a user control is the
'end stop' arrangement. Is the mechanism that prevents a user from
turning the control past it`s fully on or fully off position rugged
enough on a preset to to the job considering what heavy handed users
there sometimes are in the music business.

Also, if the end stop IS strong enough, is the mounting arrangement of a
preset strong enough to withstand the turning force of a typical death
metal guitarist after several pints of Krugermeister?

Ron(UK)

--
Lune Valley Audio
Public Address Systems

Thanks for that, I had not considered the end stops.
The original one, with the flimsey wiper, had quite manly endstop nib on the
shaft and housing moulding.
These presets have similar sized physical end stops, the weakest point would
be the two plastic pauls on the shaft that engage with the slot, about 3 x
1.5mm each in cross section.
I would mount the body to pcb with hot melt glue.
Guitarists and pot problems is usually the guitar controls where the fascia
is plastic so no reliable mounting, so the nuts loosen and pots are then
twisted round and round , windlassing the wires into a broken mess.
That problem I cure by heavy-soldering a thick copper strip between all the
pots, replacing the wire grounds between the pots

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England