Posted to alt.home.repair

Default My Two projects - Can I do it?

"D J" wrote in message
(1) Create a new bath room. - I know this could be difficult and not
wise to do everything by myself, without plumber help. I just want to
minimize the plumber help and of course the money. May be I can install
the walls myself, may be floors too? may be paint it? install counter
tops, sinks etc?

The most difficult part here is the drain pipe. Before you get started,
call a plumber and find out what he needs for space and location. The rest
is common framing and finishing. That portion is easy to handle if you are
handy. Oh, some electrical too. Unless you are knowledagable of it,
contract that out also. YOu'll fame the room, then have it wored and
plumbed, then finisht he wall, then the final plubing and fixture
installation.

There are may books available that explain the steps for what you have to
do.

(2) Repositioning a door in an outer wall from kitchen to utilize the
space better. I just want to remove the door from current position and
install in a newer location so that the traffic flow does not obstruct
kitchen activities.

Now we are getting into some serious construction here. Opening up exterior
bearing walls is more involved that what you are doing to partition a
bathroom. The wall must be opened, headers must be installed and the
opening framed according to building codes. Yes, this is done every day but
you need a little more knowledge of construction. You also have to match up
the outside siding, or brick, or whatever.

Keep in mind, it is never a simple job to just move a door. Trust me, it
opens up the possibility of changing the entire kitchen around and spending
thousands of dollars. I've seen simple things like painting a wall turn into
major projects just so everything else looks good and matches. Make a
plan, get some help on that one, and read a few books.