Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom The Great Tom The Great is offline

Default 40 volts at one elec outlet

On 10 Jan 2007 08:28:24 -0800, "Don't Wait Up"
wrote:

House is ~50 years old. Copper Wiring. On one 20a circuit there are a
number of duplex boxes. On three adjacent to each other the voltage
reads 120 -- ~40 -- 120. The previous owner switched one box to a
single receptacle and switch. And wired to the switch a lamp
(incandescent) in a new skylight. The operation of which has always
been problematic.

I tracked down the low voltage recaptacle when I move the refrigerator
plug to that outlet.

Any thoughts on this?
Thanks.

IMHO, not your electrician, you have a wiring problem, that should be
looked at. Low voltage conditions can be detrimental to your
equipment.

Now if I was there, my first step would be to toss in a circuit
checker. The proceed on based on the results.

Good luck,

tom @ www.MedJobSite.com