mikee

Default Dial Test Indicator Pointers

Probably the best way is by trial measurement on something and comparing the
reading with another indicator you know is accurate. Do it this way. Put any
size lever on your Luftkin. Chuck up something round in a 4 jaw chuck on a lathe
and deliberately dial it in so it has about 0.025 inch TIR with the known good
indicator. Now measure with the Luftkin. Say you get 0.040 inch. The trial
lever length is too short, as the indicated Luftkin reading is too big. By
simple ratioing, the true length should be (0.040/0.025) x (trial lever length).

If the Luftkin reading is less than the true TIR you need to lengthen the lever.
Lets say you get 0.015 reading on the Luftkin. By ratioing, the true length
should be (0.025/0.015) x (trial lever length).

When doing the measurements, the more TIR on the test part the better as it will
minimize reading erros, etc.

Trying to make a new lever from scratch would be a real challange, I think. The
threads are DINKY on those levers You might want to consider calling Luftkin and
asking if they can supply the correct size. Good luck, Gunner.

Mike Eberlein

Gunner wrote:

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 23:26:29 GMT, "Charlie Gary"
wrote:

"Gunner" wrote in message
.. .

I do indeed have to measure in specific units, hence the original
post.
How do I determine the correct stem lenght?

Gunner

"To be civilized is to restrain the ability to commit mayhem.
To be incapable of committing mayhem is not the mark of the civilized,
merely the domesticated." - Trefor Thomas