Posted to pdaxs.services.plumbing,alt.home.repair
Dan_Musicant Dan_Musicant is offline

Default Need new water main - have a few questions

On 10 Jan 2007 06:41:43 -0800, "
wrote:

:sorry for your experience.
ut in the copper wire yourself...those guys could mess it up,
:especially since you said they didn't know what it was in the first
lace.
:
:How much did it cost for the 3/4" if you don't mind me asking? My
lumber quoted $2,000...but he's usually high. (no, really, he's a
:hippy.)
:
:Jason
:Valley Center, KS

The owner of the company came out to bid the water main replacement. I
didn't know he was the owner at the time. It was almost 2 weeks ago. He
looked over the situation and quickly made his assessment -- run copper
here from the meter, go under the sidewalk, trench the lawn up to the
house and go in a vent at the front, all 3/4", L in the trench, M under
the house. Once under the house, straight back to where the old main
accessed the house plumbing, which was at the back left under the
kitchen. He first mentioned $2500 and that the lowest they could go was
$2300. A couple of minutes later I asked him if $2300 was OK, and he'd
forgotten he'd mentioned that figure and said "you drive a hard
bargain." I didn't bother saying that HE was the one who came up with
that number. I signed the estimate, but a day later cancelled because I
had an issue and also wanted to get more bids. I figure it's 25-30 feet
of soft copper and about 35' of hard copper.

I got a bid for $2200 from another plumber, said to be good and in
general 30% less than the other guys. But he appeared to not have
insurance, and I being uninsured for anything but fire (basically), I
decided I better go with the $2300 bid with the "current" company (i.e.
the one doing my sewers). They agreed to do 3/4" L under the house,
install 2 hose bibbs instead of 1, and put a bonding jumper at the
meter.

Dan