Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] tksirius@gmail.com is offline

Default Basement - Insulation size/thickness

I put in encapsulated r14 insulation in there. (walls and ceiling)

The sound deadening worked out ok. Its not like someone can
scream down there and not be heard, but you dont hear much
upstairs when the tv or stereo is on.

Tom

JimmyD wrote:
Hello All,
I'm in the process of finishing my basement. The ceiling is (will
be) a drop ceiling. The rafters above the drop ceiling don't have any
insulation in them. The basement is where my home theater will be, so
sound insulation is of high importance. My local hardware store carries
Johns Mansville insulation, and I decided to get kraft faced insulation
for ease of installation. I was wondering what thickness of insulation
to buy. The rafters are 9 inches deep (and 15 inches wide). The two
thickness of insulation I was looking at are 8 1/4 and 10 1/4. I didn't
know if it was better to go with the 8 1/4 and have a small gap or go
with the 10 1/4 and compress it a bit when I install it. Here's the
brochure for the insulation if that helps:
http://www.jmhomeinsulation.com/pdfs...28c77 7520642
. Also, I live in South Dakota, if that makes any difference.

Thanks.

Jim