Orrin Iseminger

Default Electrolytic rust removal question

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 15:55:08 GMT, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

First, I'm curious about what the toxic waste issue would be with stainless.
Do you have a link or a reference?

Snip

Ed Huntress

I don't have a reference, but I have about eight years of almost
continuous experience using electrolysis.

I was told that stainless steel wouldn't degrade when used as a waste
electrode when doing electrolytic derusting. So, I used a thin sheet
of SS scrap.

It took a while, but the sheet stainless eventually looked like a lace
curtain. Worse, my solution turned yellow: hexavalent chromium.

I once worked at a facility where they pumped their discarded
chromate-treated cooling tower water into the ground. That was then.
Now, hundreds of millions of yours and my tax dollars are being spent
trying to get it pumped back out of the aquifer.

Orrin