Posted to alt.home.repair
miker miker is offline

Default Modular Homes - A waste of wood

I have heard from several other people, not just this forum post that
modular homes are not the way to go. Its true that the quality can vary from
different builders by having it just meet code is scary. I remember one guy
telling me that you can actually break into one of these homes with an xacto
knife. The hightech lightweight materials used today make it easy. How knows
it these is any thruth to this but it made me laugh.

miker

"Pete C." wrote in message
miker wrote:

I heard rumors these homes are of poor quality. They look great on the
outside. Posts like this can save you so many problems if you take the
time
and do some research.

miker

Posts like this typically represent nothing more than the rantings of a
paranoid low end site builder and are utterly worthless.

Just like with site builders, quality varies tremendously which is why
you have to carefully investigate any builder you are considering,
whether they are site built or modular. Whether site built or modular,
outside of the few builders using SIPs, both type are "stick" built.

The modular are "stick" built inside a very large building using
accurate jigs and cutting and are protected from weather. This means
that despite the false claims of "waste" and excess material at section
joints, they actually save material by eliminating the typical site
built waste from mistakes and less than ideal cuts.

The modular do have the limitations of transportable size to contend
with, but this doesn't affect quality, it only affects design options.
Even here, the high end modular homes often include site built portions
for design elements that are too big to transport effectively in a
factory built configuration.

Since everyone builds to the same building code, all of the homes
whether site built, modular or hybrid are entirely safe, structurally
sound and to code. High end homes of either type typically exceed code
requirements by a significant amount, giving the impression that the
lower end homes are sub standard, but this is simply not the case.

For any given quality level a modular home is often superior in
measurable ways, from more precise framing, to faster construction with
lower labor costs, to the elimination of the risk of having your freshly
framed house rained on before it is sheathed and closed in. It even
eliminates most of the builders and subcontractors risk of tools stolen
from the job site.