Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B Steve B is offline

Default Welding Helmets

wrote in message
If you weld, do you always use those welding helmets?
I am asking because they dont work in cold weather. They fog up.
I had to do a small welding repair in the garage yesterday and as soon
as I put the helmet on my head it was fogged up and I could not see
what I was welding. Obviously from breathing inside them there is no
way to avoid the fogging. I finally took one of those (over the eyes
only) torch welding goggles and changed the lens with the darker one
from my helmet and used that. That worked fine, and is much more
comfortable, This makes me wonder why people even use those large
clumbsy helmets. From now on I will probably just use the goggles.
The only time I'd see the helmet needed is welding overhead, to keep
sparks off the face, but for welding something on the garage floor,
who needs that whole helmet, and in cold weather they are useless.
I never knew that both types use the same size dark lens. Now I know
they do.....
Mark

I have welded for 33 years now, so I know of what I speak.

Arc rays burn whatever they touch. Skin, cornea, retina, clothing,
anything. You can cover up your eyes, but you will have a nice painful red
ring around where it is not covered.

Buy some antifog, or get your helmet set up so you don't fog it. Maybe even
breathe through a flexible piece of short hose.

Even if you do it right, later in life, you will have to get about six sin
cancers burned off per year.

Steve