Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Charles Schuler Charles Schuler is offline

Default DC voltage for GE security camera

"Rick" wrote in message ...
I found some GE SmartHome GESECCTVBWC b&w hard wired security cameras at
closeout. These were meant to be used with an associated GE monitor that
supplied the power to the cameras.

The camera has standard RCA plugs for video and audio output, and a male
DC plug for power. There are no markings on the camera or DC plug
concerning voltage or polarity. (There are no specifications at all
provided on the packaging.)

Anyone out there know what voltage and polarity to use with these
cameras? I'm assuming it's either 4.5 or 6 volts - like most other CCD
security cameras, but you know what happens when you assume things.

I could at least check the polarity - if I could figure out how to open
the case for the camera. But after removing the two obvious screws the
case parts won't budge.

Would I likely kill the camera if I applied DC voltage just long enough
to see if I got the polarity correct?

Do you have a bench (adjustable) power supply? Connect the camera to a
monitor and slowly crank up the voltage until the picture locks and looks
OK. If this happens at say 5 volts, then you can assume it is designed for
6 volts. If it happens at say 10 volts, then you can assume it is designed
for 12 volts.