Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Friction in Stanton STR8-30 Turntable

wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks for the help. This is my first time trying to do any repairs on
a turntable, so I just want to make sure I'm clear on where I should be
looking, and that I've got the terminology right...

On this turntable, once I remove the platter, the top of the casing
(the chassis?) is more or less entirely closed, except for a hole that
the spindle comes through. So to access the bearing tube or see the
motor, I have to unscrew and remove the casing. If this is correct,
are there any precautionary steps I should take before opening it up?

Thanks again.

There shouldn't be any particular issues that I can think of, other than
just good servicing practice. Things such as noting the screw types. Often,
screws will be of different types and lengths e.g. quick-threads for
plastic, machine screws etc. Just note where they come from if there are any
different types. Separate the case halves carefully, and if you do have to
disturb any bits of mechanism, draw a picture before you do. An indelible
felt tip is often handy for just putting a quick stroke across pieces of
mechanism, just to remind you how they were when you started ... Use either
old 35mm film pots, or egg cartons to store the screws etc.

Have you got an idea yet of what is dragging ?