Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Zachary Burns Zachary Burns is offline

Default Figure out this Resistor with Color Code

Is there a way to tell for sure?

If I took a picture could you tell?

Some cable technician cut this off of my friends television (she said it
stopped working on New Year's - must have been some party), anyway, and the
cable tv tech said it was bad. I told her the cable technician is probably
smoking crack! The component (looks like a resistor to me) isn't bad from
the limited testing I did, but I need to order a new one for her.

I'm a computer guy just trying to help her out....not an electrical
engineer.

Zack

wrote in message
On Mon, 8 Jan 2007 10:36:51 -0500, "Zachary Burns"
wrote:

I've got what I think to be a Carbon Resistor (brown cylindrical case with
no bubbled out ends) with 5 bands on it.

Band 1 = Orange
Band 2 = White
Band 3 = Green
Band 4 = Silver
Band 5 = Green

I think this comes out to be 3.95 Ohms (10% Tollerance) Right?

New to this stuff and want to make sure I order the right part.

Zack

I think you have a capacitor, not a resister. Band 5 is
a characteristic code, either temperature coefficient or
capacitance drift.

In your case .039 micro farads at 0 to +70 (ppm/Centigrade)
or plus or minus .05% + 0.1 pF