Posted to alt.food.wine,rec.woodworking
Joe \Beppe\Rosenberg Joe \Beppe\Rosenberg is offline

Default Wood for Wine Rack Construction

The magazine "The Wood Spectator" did a long piece on the best woods to use
for home storage, They preferred wood from organically raised trees which
were free range too. Even more preferable were trees bred in a pure oxygen
environment, infused with free range chicken fat.
"Don Sforza" wrote in message
et...
I did this about 4 years ago and used Western Red Cedar. Then I read an
article on wine rack construction that said DON'T USE AN AROMATIC WOOD...
get's into the wine, etc. Well after 6 months the "aroma" was gone and no
wine has been ruined. Not that I have a lot of expensive wine anyway...
maybe a mixed case of some "keepers".

I have room for about 17 cases of wine... all racked. I did the
11-horizontal, one-on-an angle thingee for display.

Cost.... maybe $100.

"Geoff Schultz" wrote in message
.. .
I've been planning on building wine racks for my wine cellar. The rack
length will be about 14' and each column will hold 18 bottles with 2
display bins. I enjoy woodworking and have a nice shop, so construction
isn't an issue.

I had assumed that I would be able to build it for cheaper than I could
purchase a unit. I also hoped that it would justify some new tools! :-)
The problem that I just priced out red wood and found that it's running
$3.29-$3.79 per linear foot for 1x6 in New England. When I look at the
pricing for pre-fabbed wine racks built out of red wood, I can't even

buy
the wood for what they're selling them for, let alone justify any new
tools! :-(

I'm not fixed on red wood. I want a wood that will withstand the

relative
humidity of a cellar and look good. Pine is not an option. Any
suggestions for a nice wood to build this out of?

-- Geoff