Posted to alt.home.repair
Chris Hill Chris Hill is offline

Default Need new water main - have a few questions

On Tue, 09 Jan 2007 18:24:23 GMT, Dan_Musicant
wrote:

On 8 Jan 2007 20:42:34 -0800, " wrote:

:just install the bonding jumper yourself, a foot or two of bare copper
:wire, 10 gauge, and 2 clamps. the new copper line will be nice and
:clean, so that makes it easier.

Yes, I could do it. The clamps should be special electrical ones, I
guess. Where would I get them? A plumbing supply outfit?
:
:10 minutes tops and 5 bucks, not worth a hassle.........

But, you know, they are coming back out to finish my sewer laterals job
- they haven't done the concrete work, so I think I should ask them to
just follow up and install the jumper.
:
:contractor a bozo, for not following directions.

Very much so. Anyway, although they aren't the sharpest I basically like
the people and they've treated me well all in all. I learned one thing
dealing with them, howeve: Never listen to the workers if and when they
try to hustle you for side work. If you get the scent and start
considering them for different jobs and you don't use them they will
bear you a grudge, at least for a while. Just firmly say you aren't
interested if they do that.
:
:check yoursellf and compare copper line price differences sounds like
:they were trying to discourage you from going larger........

I had done some price checking on copper prices for the various sizes of
pipe and find the $600 price hike for going from 3/4" to 1" jaw dropping
and hard to believe.

Indeed, they tried to discourage me from thinking of doing it in 1" from
the beginning. The owner of the company came out and made the estimate
on the water main replacement. He told me I'd see absolutely no benefit
and that I should stick with 3/4". So did the other licensed bidder. So,
I find it odd that basically EVERYONE in the newsgroups would tell me I
should do 1". I'm still trying to understand it. Anyway, it's done as of
sundown yesterday and 3/4" it is!

I didn't get that either. We have 3/4 and it has been fine. As I
recall, other parts of your service were already 3/4, so there would
have been no benefit from going with 1-incyh. Maybe if you wanted to
put in a sprinkler system or something, but otherwise why bother.