Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Electric motor reversing question

Leo Lichtman wrote:

First, Nailshooter, regardless of what type of motor it is, it will never
instantly reverse. It may start to decelerate rapidly--but I think Dan is
right: once a single phase motor is up to speed, the direction of rotation
is not controlled by the wiring.

That is good to know. I never said that the fellow's machine I was
referencing that heard the loud bang was single phase, it may or may
not be. So if you are right and motors react completely the same
"regardless" of what type of motor it is, if ALL act the way you say
under all set up conditions, it sounds like I may have heard some
baloney over here.

I will see him at the next meeting and ask him if he was pulling my
leg. You know how some can't resist an exaggeration to tell a good
story. He doesn't seem the type, but...

Joe - I hope you let us know what you decide and why.

Robert