Posted to alt.food.wine,rec.woodworking
cwdjrxyz cwdjrxyz is offline

Default Wood for Wine Rack Construction

Geoff Schultz wrote:
I've been planning on building wine racks for my wine cellar. The rack
length will be about 14' and each column will hold 18 bottles with 2
display bins. I enjoy woodworking and have a nice shop, so construction
isn't an issue.

I had assumed that I would be able to build it for cheaper than I could
purchase a unit. I also hoped that it would justify some new tools! :-)
The problem that I just priced out red wood and found that it's running
$3.29-$3.79 per linear foot for 1x6 in New England. When I look at the
pricing for pre-fabbed wine racks built out of red wood, I can't even buy
the wood for what they're selling them for, let alone justify any new
tools! :-(

I'm not fixed on red wood. I want a wood that will withstand the relative
humidity of a cellar and look good. Pine is not an option. Any
suggestions for a nice wood to build this out of?

If you live near a sawmill, you might be able to buy nearly any wood
they process at a much lower price if the wood has flaws. If you can
select what you buy, you might be able to pick out some lumber that
would have a flaw near the end of the board that can be sawed off, etc.
Of course I doubt if there are any redwood sawmills in New England :-).

The best choice I can think of is teak. Garden furniture made from it
can last a very long time without rot in even very moist climates.
England is full of very old teak garden furniture on private estates
and in parks. The teak slowly turns gray as it ages outdoors and often
is not treated. There is a less expensive wood than teak now being used
for outdoor garden furniture. I do not recall the name - it may be from
South America.