Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Do I want a trailer jack for my little trailer

"mm" wrote in message
On Tue, 09 Jan 2007 12:58:14 -0500, Goedjn wrote:

Should I buy a spare wheel, tire, and spare tire carrier, for a total
of 40 dollars? I'm not made of money.

Why the hell don't you just rent the trailer, one way?

IIRC, I checked and they don't rent little trailers one-way. I can't
tow a big one. They don't rent any open trailers one way.

Nobody else said it, so I will. Call your relative, and have them send you
the dimensions and weights of the pieces you want to move. (Just put a
bathroom scale under each corner, and add up the numbers. It'll be close
enough.) Then call the various pak-mail and similar places, and maybe even
a local 'real' shipping company on the other end, and get an estimate of
shipping costs. For one or two pieces, even if you have to pay their
inflated prices for packing services, shipping the pieces may be as cheap or
cheaper than buying a trailer and hauling them yourself. (Don't forget, you
also have to put a plate on the trailer, and make sure your insurance covers
towing). It'll definitely be less hassle than a long-distance tow with an
underpowered marginal tow vehicle. (And I have done several stupid tow jobs,
so I know those well.) Of course, see if the pieces come apart in any way,
shape, or form. To just go across town, you can sling them across the trunk
of your car with blankets for padding, or hopefully your relative has a
bigger car for that part.

If you hadn't earlier said that the peices were family heirlooms, I'd say
sell or donate them, and use the move money to buy similar items at the
local thrift store.

aem sends....