Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] maradcliff@UNLISTED.com is offline

Default Battery Operated Sump Pumps

On Sun, 7 Jan 2007 19:23:42 -0500, "Joseph Meehan"

Is anyone familiar with these battery operated sump pumps?
What do they use for batteries? What voltage? Are the bateries
always being charged when the power is on, or must they be connected
to a charger manually? Can more than one battery be connected in
parallel so they pump longer? Can they be run off a car battery in
an emergency?

I believe you will find most are 12V and will run off a car battery, but
they likely come with a NiCad type battery. I would suggest that unless you
expect short outages or only need it when it is not all that wet, that the
battery may go out before the water stops rising. After all, most power
outages happen during storms and that is when the pump is needed the most.

I like the idea of a water powered backup, unless you have a well. Even
when the electric goes out, you usually have water pressure on city water
system.

I have a well !!!!! This is a farm.
On the other hand, there are always several cars, trucks, and tractors
that have charged batteries available. There's always a vehicle that
can recharge them too. I could see parking my tractor nearby and
running wires directly from the alternator to keep it charged and keep
the pump running.

Thanks
Mark