Posted to alt.home.repair
Eigenvector Eigenvector is offline

Default How often do you replace your oven/range

"lp13-30" wrote in message
i can't really answer your question, but my mother has a MagicChef gas
stove that we bought new in the fall of 1955. She wouldn't take a new
stove if you gave it to her. This one was the top of the line when it
was new-- it is 42 or maybe even 48" wide with the oven on the right
side and a separate broiler with a door that swings out to the side on
the left. It also has a griddle in the center of the top, which she said
she just had to have, and hasn't used n 40 years. The broiler is the
main reason she wouldn't part with it, as I don't think anyone makes a
unit like it anymore. . As to your point about burning the house
down, there are a lot of fires started with stoves, but it is almost
always by careless use of the stove, not the stove itself. Bottom line--
some people replace perfectly good items, whether it is appliances,
furniture, cars etc, just because they want new, while others keep
things forever(nearly), and act like it is oee of their children. No
reason to replace a working stove, but if you want a new one, no reason
not to buy what you want. Just keep in mind that all the higher end
ovens have fancy digital control boards that are real nice until they
fail--right out of warranty-- then you have the choice of spending at
least half the cost of a new unit to repair it, or buying a new stove to
replace your 3 or 4 year old one. Larry

Mentioning the digital ovens. Personally I think that's one of the places
where the older technology is a FAR FAR better solution than cheap circuit
boards make in Asia. A rheostat isn't going to go bad nearly as early or
often as a circuit board - especially in a high heat environment like an
oven.