Posted to alt.home.repair
lp13-30 lp13-30 is offline

Default Air Handler & Rep Woes

There is really not much difference between an electric furnace and an
air handler. The only electric furnaces I see here(San Antonio Tx) are
30+ y/o. The main difference between the two is that the A/H has the
evaporator coil built in. There are a number of houses here with air
handlers with straight cool A/C rather than heat pumps.I do not recall
ever seeing a house with electric heat and no A/C, (A/C is not a luxury
here) so most houses with no nat. gas available use heat pumps, as the
only additional cost is the difference between the cool only and heat
pump outside unit. S me of the people who choose to have electric heat
w/o a heat pump(as opposed to those who buy a tract house that already
has that setup) say that they do not use the heat enough to justify the
difference, and when they do use the heat is cold enough outside that a
heat pump would not put out that much anyway. How many KW do you have
now. I am not that familiar with Lummox, but adding heat strips or
replacing the heat strip assy with larger ones is usually not big deal.
The biggest problem is having adequate power to run them. I am sure you
don't use/need much a/c in your area, but if you do add a heat pump, you
will have it, and it sure is nice to have on the days you can use it
Good luck Larry