Posted to alt.home.repair
Speedy Jim Speedy Jim is offline

Default Capping Water Lines

wrote:
Hi I need to get remove a sink and am not to sure on how to cap the
pipes off. The supply lines are copper pipes. I know there are caps for
them but if i put the cap on and solder it will it be stong enough to
not blow off from the pressure of the water? As to the drain is there a
cap that I can use that will keep sewer gas from getting in to the room?

Instead of capping the copper, install shutoff valves (stops)
which use compression fittings. No soldering, plus you have
shutoffs for next time.
http://www.plumbingsupply.com/angle.html

A wet rag stuffed in the drain is sufficient.
For a more permanent solution, get a Fernco Quick Cap:

http://www.fernco.com/QC.asp

Jim