Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Friction in Stanton STR8-30 Turntable

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,

I have a Stanton STR8-30 direct drive turntable that has recently
started making a scraping noise. This noise is mechanical - you can
hear it when the turntable is off and it does not come through the
speakers when playing a record. There is clearly a particular place
during the rotation where this friction is occurring.

Unfortunately, Stanton does not have any authorized repair shops
outside their own factory - is there any way to repair this myself
rather than paying $65/hour for labor plus parts and shipping?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Phil

You need to figure out where it is catching. If it is the underside of the
platter catching on some part of the chassis or motor, then the centre
bearing has sunk for some reason. I had a similar problem some time back,
when a deck that I had in for repair ( can't remember what make ) had a ball
bearing in the bottom of the bearing tube, that the bottom surface of the
hardened shaft ran on. The lube had dried out, and the hard ball bearing had
worn into the soft brass that the tube was made from. Relubing, and
replacing the ball bearing with one of a larger diameter, cured the problem.

Arfa