Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Karl B Karl B is offline

Default Wood Turning Education

"George" wrote in
:

"Darrell Feltmate" wrote in message
news:EXSoh.124230$YV4.7710@edtnps89...
Why do degrees
sound so much better to folks who should know better?

Well, time was a degree was an indication of an education. Now, of
course, many college programs are closer to trade training. Trades
help you do, education helps you understand what you're doing, and
perhaps even why it works.

First to Darrell: Well said. I agree wholeheartedly.

Second, I may be part of a very small community that:
1. Completed my apprentiship as a carpenter and worked in the craft
for many years.
2. At night completed my baccalaureate degree before my kids, ( A
personal goal)
3. Liked going to school so much that I competed my Master's about
three years later.

I have all three sheepskins hanging on my office wall and all are
equally important to me personally and professionally.

There was a time, when I was a young journeyman, that my paycheck took
care of my family. When I got to be a foreman, life was good and we could
afford some of the "extras". Today, as I sit in an office and look out at
the youngsters working their tails off for a wage that barely covers the
essentials and forces many of the married folks to have their partners
work just to keep their heads above water, I am amazed that there isn't a
revolution in the making. There are of course many reasons, weak or non
existent unions, illegal immigration depressing wages, folks willing to
do the job for a lesser wage or benefit package, just to name few. This
is consistent with the American war on the middle class, and the push to
make the workers put out more product for less wages so the CEO's and
bureaucrats can get their goodies.

Just today, I had a meeting with a sales person trying to sell me kitchen
caabinets for a condo project that are made in China and shipped to the
US. The sales person guaranteed that he could beat the American price by
40%. Huuurmmph. I'll be damned if I am going to contribute to my
neighbors and fellow workers by taking a cheaper price now and pay for it
years later when society is split between the very rich and the poor
working class and the middle class be hanged.

Sorry for venting, but the day of the tradesman is being supplented by
the importer and broker. Damn it all.