Posted to alt.food.wine,rec.woodworking

Default Wood for Wine Rack Construction

Tim Daneliuk wrote:

Looks nice Tim.**There*really*is*no*stain*on*that*rack?**It's *a*very
nice color for the normally bland poplar, and I'm surprised you could
get that color with just shellac and wax.**If*the*color*is*all*from*the
shellac, what color shellac did you use, and how many coats?

I think I may have oiled it prior to the shellac - I cannot recall -
and that may account for the color.**I*used*Orange*shellac,*probably
2 or 3 coats.

Some people don't realize how many different shades of shellac there are.
Super blonde, blonde, lemon, orange, and garnet, and probably one or two I
don't know about. And Ron Hock now has the orange and garnet in dewaxed, as
well as the more common dewaxed blonde.

I've never found oiling poplar to add much color, unless you used a tinted
oil. In fact, I've tried shellac with and without oiling first and my eyes
can't tell the difference.

And yes Tim, it looks great.

--
It's turtles, all the way down