Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Best tool for undercutting door frame?

John E wrote:

I have some hardwood flooring to lay, and this will involve undercutting 8
door frames. I'm looking for the best tool for the job.

I would say you have a few options:

longish hardpoint hand saw - used against a bit of up turned flooring -
you will need to introduce enough latteral force on the blade such that
the bit doing the cutting is flat against the spacer. As you say, hard
work, but a good finish is achievable.

Used like above, you would also be able to use a reciprocating[1] saw
with a long (9-12") wood cutting blade. Again you use the capability of
the blade to bend into the right position for the cut. This would be a
good solution if there are hidden nails in the base of the jamb (you can
get timber / nail cutting blades)

Biscuit jointer - as others have said - you will need a packer under it
equal to the thickness of the finished floor level less the kerf of the
blade and the offset from the base of the jointer.

My weapon of choice would be a Fein multimaster with a cranked eCut[2]
or segment blade - that will give a fine and controlled cut. Again use
some upturned flooring as a spacer - no need to adjust for the blade
kerf since the blades are so fine.

[1] http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/powertools/recipsaw.htm
[2]
http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.a... ile=1&jump=0