Posted to uk.d-i-y
andy andy is offline

Default steel or acrylic bath?

In message , Aidan Karley
muttered:
I slopped wallpaper paste onto the back side of the strips of
insulation, then fed them down the long side of the bath against the
wall, levered them in position with a broom handle, and propped them up
on books overnight. Cleaning up the GF was a bitch. Gluing them onto
the bath before plumbing it into place would have been much easier (can
you get insulation on glueable backing paper?). On the front and side
of the bath I just wedged strips of the insulation in as I was screwing
the side panel on.

That made me laugh!

The idea is probably good, but a proper implementation would
probably be best done while making the bath,

I think that's how I would do it.

I get much more effect on the long-warm-bath front by putting
bubble bath in - the foam blanket greatly reduces both evaporation and
convection routes for loss of heat ; by deduction, conduction through
the metal of the bath is a minor route of heat loss.

Think I'd agree with that as well, think I'm becoming a bath anorak!

I wouldn't waste
my time doing the GF job again, though if I "got someone in" to do a
bathroom (big "if", including "if ever") I would consider specifying a
bath with built-on insulation. The wife would over-ride it on grounds
of colour, of course.

Women, all the same. They probably don't even realise the real benefit
of bubble bath...

--
Andy