Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default 134 Volts from Outlet

"Fpbear II" wrote in message
t...
Indeed in the rest of the house, turnining on a load causes drops in
voltage in other completely different circuits. For example when I start
the dryer, which has its own 50A breaker from the main panel, this causes
the computer UPS to beep for a few seconds due to the drop in voltage.
The computer is on a different circuit with a 15A fuse in the main panel.

If this was a problem with the main panel, will the electric company come
out to fix it without charge? The panel looks pretty old, it might be the
original from 1950. How do these open or bad neutral connections occur?
Is it something like rust build up?

The power company is usually responsable for the wiring going to the power
meter. The home owner is responsable for everything past the meter. The
loose/bad connection can be anywhere from the transformer at the power pole
to the main braker/fuse box.

The connections can loosen up over the years. At every wire joint the wires
can loosen under the screws. I don;t really know the way this happens ,but
do know that it will.

You should get this looked into as soon as possiable . The lower voltages
are not to bad on things that do not have motors, but not good for motors.
The higher voltages, especially after you get over 125 to 130 will shorten
the life of many devices.