Posted to alt.home.repair
Fpbear II Fpbear II is offline

Default 134 Volts from Outlet

Indeed these are single breakers. The conduit from the main panel carries
four wires and 240V (this conduit originally went to a 240V receptacle). If
I have the breakers swapped out with double breakers will it help the
symptoms or is that more to do with the NEC code?

I measured the voltage between neutral and ground, with loads still plugged
in. When I place the Fluke lead into the ground hole touching the exact
same position where I measure 110-130V between hot and ground, there is only
a 0.1-0.2 voltage different between neutral and ground. If I move the lead
in the ground hole so it touches some other part of the metal inside, I get
a consistent 7-9V difference between neutral and ground. That is strange, I
thought the ground contacts inside the outlet are all the same piece of
metal. These are new Leviton GFCI outlets.

"Jeff" wrote in message
For this type of set-up (Edison, I believe), the red and the black leads
for an outlet must go to a double breaker so that neither can be on
independent of the other. The breakers in the picture look like single
breakers to me. Check the voltage between neutral on the outlet and
ground. I assume that you have about240 VAC coming into your house. Note
the sum of the voltages on the outlet pairs is about 240. Thus the
neutral must be significantly different than ground. More than a few
volts different at max load should be indication of a problem. If equal
sized loads are on the outlets then there should be no current in the
neutral lead and it should be at ground.