Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon George E. Cawthon is offline

Default Plaster Walls?

JerryC wrote:
We decided to remodel the 3/4 bath off our bedroom. Last night I
stripped it down, took out the vanity, toilet, medicine cabinet. Then
came the shower. It was a one-piece fiberglass unit that was put in
before the walls were put up i guess (mid-70's). so i had to cut it out.
I bashed out enough of the plaster walls to get the lip free around the
shower. it's 48" by 38.5" or so. anyway, now that that's done I'm
wondering if i should strip the plaster off all walls and go with cement
board or drywall. Any suggestions?

Be aware that regular plaster walls reduce sound
transmission a huge amount compared to drywall.
If you replace with drywall, sounds from the
bathroom will be way more evident.