Posted to alt.food.wine,rec.woodworking

Default Wood for Wine Rack Construction

"Geoff Schultz" wrote in message
I had assumed that I would be able to build it for cheaper than I could
purchase a unit. I also hoped that it would justify some new tools! :-)
The problem that I just priced out red wood and found that it's running
$3.29-$3.79 per linear foot for 1x6 in New England.

So that works out to about $6.50 a board foot. What do you figure to pay?
Most "better" woods are $4.50 and up. If you want cheap, you are limited to
MDF. Check out Downes & Reader in Stoughton MA or Connecticut Hardwood
Group in Enfield CT for prices. There is a sawmill in MA that has pine
boards for as little as $100 a bd. ft.

You can do what I did. I have my son's old entertainment center and just lay
the cardboard boxes on their side in it. Right now I've got about 200
bottles stored that way. Not pretty, but certainly cost effective.

Most of us do woodworking for the fun of it. You can buy most things cheaper
(but not better).