Posted to alt.food.wine,rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default Wood for Wine Rack Construction

On Tue, 09 Jan 2007 10:23:29 -0600, Geoff Schultz wrote:

I've been planning on building wine racks for my wine cellar. The rack
length will be about 14' and each column will hold 18 bottles with 2
display bins. I enjoy woodworking and have a nice shop, so construction
isn't an issue.

I had assumed that I would be able to build it for cheaper than I could
purchase a unit. I also hoped that it would justify some new tools! :-)
The problem that I just priced out red wood and found that it's running
$3.29-$3.79 per linear foot for 1x6 in New England. When I look at the
pricing for pre-fabbed wine racks built out of red wood, I can't even
buy the wood for what they're selling them for, let alone justify any
new tools! :-(

I'm not fixed on red wood. I want a wood that will withstand the
relative humidity of a cellar and look good. Pine is not an option.
Any suggestions for a nice wood to build this out of?

The humidity shouldn't be an issue as long as it's more or less
constant--it's changes in humidity that are bad. On the other hand, if
the floor is damp you might want to consider elevating the cabinet base a
bit--Ikea sells plastic cabinet supports that hold up something like a
half a ton a set for 6 bucks IIRC, complete with skirt clips.

As for choice of wood, if redwood is too steep that lets out most of the
tropicals. Locally cypress and white oak are listing for around
$3.75/board foot. Either of those should hold up fine.

-- Geoff

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate