Posted to alt.food.wine,rec.woodworking
Ed Rasimus Ed Rasimus is offline

Default Wood for Wine Rack Construction

On Tue, 09 Jan 2007 10:23:29 -0600, Geoff Schultz
wrote:

I've been planning on building wine racks for my wine cellar. The rack
length will be about 14' and each column will hold 18 bottles with 2
display bins. I enjoy woodworking and have a nice shop, so construction
isn't an issue.

I had assumed that I would be able to build it for cheaper than I could
purchase a unit. I also hoped that it would justify some new tools! :-)
The problem that I just priced out red wood and found that it's running
$3.29-$3.79 per linear foot for 1x6 in New England. When I look at the
pricing for pre-fabbed wine racks built out of red wood, I can't even buy
the wood for what they're selling them for, let alone justify any new
tools! :-(

I'm not fixed on red wood. I want a wood that will withstand the relative
humidity of a cellar and look good. Pine is not an option. Any
suggestions for a nice wood to build this out of?

-- Geoff

A successful gentleman told me in my youth that "ya gets what ya pays
fer." I've found that to be consistently true.

There are a lot of racking "systems" out there and I'm sure we are all
familiar with the catalog offerings of IWA. They span the gamut from
pine and redwood pre-fab units to exotic home construction projects
and the price is from ultimate budget to Bill Gates' lone heir.

I've used some of their redwood pre-fab offerings in the basement
(hardly a true temp/humidity controlled "cellar--but it was mine,) and
now in a back bedroom closet since I've no longer got the subterranean
option in Texas.

The cheapie redwood stuff is functional, but no more. The wood is
nominally redwood, but don't think of beauty or grain or even
strength. It is generally egg-crate design and consists of 3/4 x 3/4
stringers joining 1" x 1/2" uprights. The whole business is pre-cut
for spacing of pieces and then held together with finishing nails
which are virtually guaranteed to split the dry, cheap wood in 25% of
the insertions. Overall it is a system to hold your bottles off the
floor and stable but not one to be admired.

I'd suggest you look at some catalogs and magazines, then get to work
with a design program to draw out what you want, then get that new
dado, mitre saw and table saw along with some quality wood to get to
work. Maybe even some nice stone or brick work on corner pilasters?

Cedar, walnut, teak, cherry come to mind.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
www.thunderchief.org