Posted to uk.d-i-y
John E John E is offline

Default Best tool for undercutting door frame?

George wrote:
"John E" wrote in message
I have some hardwood flooring to lay, and this will involve
undercutting 8 door frames. I'm looking for the best tool for the
job.

Some web sites recommend using a 'hard back mitre hand saw' which I
have, but I would prefer a power saw, since there is rather a lot of
cutting to do, and on the previous occasion that I used a hand saw,
the task took a long time, and caused significant subsequent back
pain. ;-)

There seem to be a number of items available on the internet, but
most of the power tools are available in the USA only (as far as I
can see) - e.g. 'door jamb power saw' and the Bosch 'fine cut power
hand saw'. I did find one item
http://www.bona1stopshop.co.uk/acatalog/B.html (the Bepo twist) but
this was nearly £400, and would seem to be a bit over the top for my
needs. I quite like the look of the Bosch fine cut power hand saw

http://www.epinions.com/hmgd-Shop_To...r_Handsaw_Mode
l_1640VS/display_~latest_prices
because that would be useful afterwards too. However, I couldn't
find it on a UK web site (at 250V).

I did find this one:

http://ukptocs.bosch-pt.com/boptocs-...4EC3FE1965DCDE
E964514E3903F2F91A?division=hw&ccat_id=9647&prod_i d=7574
the Bosch PFZ 600E All-purpose saw. Will this do the trick?

Any and all suggestions gratefully received...

--

John

How thick is the flooring? I laid some flooring just before Xmas and
was faced with the same situation but quick thinking I came up with
the solution.

As this was HW flooring its thickness just came to the height of the
top of blade in my biscuit jointer which couldn't have been more
perfect.
I just used the biscuit jointer to cut out all the bottom section of
the door architraves.

Perfect!

Thanks. The flooring is 15mm to which the underlay (about 3-4mm) needs to be
added. So your suggestion would seem to fit the bill. (And a lot cheaper
than £400!).