Posted to alt.home.repair
Michael Strickland Michael Strickland is offline

Default Well water storage tank Problems

On 8 Jan 2007 12:27:27 -0800, wrote:

Who ever said weird is correct. I also have unusual check valve that
causes problems at the wellhead. The valve is supposed to let water
escape in both directions. I have had it repaired a few times but have
given up on it. It only froze when it gets below zero. I have the
head covered and run a light bulb on below zero nights. The only
problem is when I forget to switch the bulb on. It has been warm in
Wisconsin the last few winters.

Might I suggest a greenhouse thermostat. I got one from Northern catalog
pretty reasonable. All you need is an outlet and then plug your bulb into the
thermostat - the sensor can be placed right by your valve if you wire things
right. It'll come on automagically when the sensor temp gets below 40F (IIRC)
and prevent freezing. I plug mine in when fall rolls around and unplug it in
spring - beats trying to remember to turn on a bulb when the temps drop.

Later, Mike
(substitute strickland in the obvious location to reply directly)

Please send all email as text - HTML is too hard to decipher as text.